Our diverse coalition of public drinking water suppliers, the workers who ensure the safe, reliable delivery of water to homes and businesses across California, and other organizations are urging Governor Newsom and the Legislature to implement common sense reforms that will help protect communities from future wildfires and ensure the safety of California’s drinking water.
SAFETY & ACCOUNTABILITY
To reduce the chances of catastrophic wildfires, there should be an enhanced focus on ensuring:
- Compliance with wildfire mitigation plans; and
- Prudent maintenance and operation of electric infrastructure.
- Establish clear and fair rules of responsibility to help victims quickly recover from wildfires; and
- Implement reforms that prevent the tools firefighters use to battle fires, including public drinking water systems, from being blamed and held responsible for fires they don’t start.
To maximize each community’s fire protection capabilities, public drinking water suppliers should:
- Be encouraged to establish protocols for wildfire response in their Emergency Response Plans; and
- Coordinate the preparation of their Emergency Response Plans with first responders, including local fire departments.